“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”― Anaïs Nin
Thoughts, goals, dreams, desires, aspirations, we all have them. We can play them out a hundred times in our heads, the changes we need to make, the motivation needed, the support, and even how to put it in one happy package to make it all happen. You know this means a change and change sometimes is tough, challenging and maybe terrifying. A move to a new job, city, a race, training goals, getting back on track with your food and weight, or maybe creating a healthier and happier you. Whatever it is, it means a transformation; a step out of your comfort zone, a movement from your safe place and possibly a place that has been holding you back for weeks, months, years, or even decades (yes, for some it has been that long).
Leap of Faith “an act of believing in or attempting something whose existence or outcome cannot be proven.”
Taking a leap of faith means jumping into an area of the unknown. It is the area that in the past has brought you ease, contentment, security, and even shelter, but now may not be enough. Stepping out of your comfort zone, moving through change is not natural for us humans because we are creatures of comfort. But taking those risks and steps are what makes us grow.
- Be an optimist. The power of positive thinking and your attitude will allow you to have a better quality of life and also set your goals in action. “ What we think about, we bring about” Your thoughts matter and if you envision and put some energy into that “Leap” chances are, it will happen.
- Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
The comfort zone, as defined by Lifehacker, is a “behavioral space where your activities and behaviors fit a routine and pattern that minimizes stress and risk” —
Dive into the uncomfortable, yes that’s right, know what it feels like to be out of your “zone” so then when it comes around again (or when you invite it) you won’t run away from it. Learn where you are most comfortable and step past it! You will achieve what you never thought possible.
- Listen to that inner voice. Intuition is powerful but we let our “head” and others persuade us to question that inner voice. Follow your gut. That’s why this step for you is happening in the first place. Don’t be afraid, replace that fear with desire, excitement, exhilaration, and wonder. No time like the present right?
- Fail and repeat. It’s OK to fall on your face and to fail. Its not easy, but you will stand up again and again. Don’t fear failure! Patience, perseverance, and some perspective means we hopefully wont repeat those same mistakes. Stay the course! After a few leaps, you’ll wonder why you didn’t start jumping years ago.
- Push, but know your limits. Stimulation and “optimal anxiety” has been proven to bring us to peak performance, but push yourself past that when your brain is pumping out too much stress hormone, then your productivity drops. Best to know where that balance lies BUT don’t make it an excuse not to try or back out.
- Never Give up. Believe in yourself and know this new change can be just what you needed and what you will rise up to.
Stepping forward, is always positive, it’s a beginning, a wake up call, and an awareness to take that leap of faith. It will bring you confidence, hope, and trust in yourself and that is where the real progress begins.
Next week keep an eye out for my favorite excerpt on transition .. It will help support any difficulties, doubts or fears that you may be facing …
I am here for you in health and wellness.
Health and happiness,